Passaic County SPCA recommends these five easy ways you can help prevent animal cruelty and neglect.
- Report animal abuse/neglect if you see it. If you witness someone physically abusing an animal or neglecting it in Passaic County, contact the Passaic County SPCA at (973) 773-0459 right away. An agent/officer will investigate your claim and keep your information anonymous. This may result in educating the offender, mandating corrective measures, or charging someone criminally. But no matter what the outcome, you are guaranteeing a better life for the pet.
- Understand the link between animal cruelty and domestic abuse. Studies have shown there is a direct link between animal abuse and domestic violence, from child abuse to spousal abuse. If you suspect animal abuse in a home, your phone call could open the door to more help for the family. SPCA officers are aware of this link, and if they feel there is other abuse in the home, they can report it to social services – and vice versa.
- Teach children to respect animals. Children learn how to treat animals from the adults in their lives. Be a role model and show kindness and respect to animals and the children in your life will do the same. There is a good reason for promoting kindness: children who are cruel to animals often grow up to be cruel to people too. Stop animal cruelty early on – teach children compassion.
- Volunteer to help animals. One of the best ways to help animals in Passaic County is to volunteer. Whether it’s by joining the Passaic County SPCA, fostering homeless animals, or helping out at your local animal shelter, you can truly make a difference. If you don’t have the time to volunteer, you can also make a donation to PCSPCA or many other worthwhile organizations. And if you can’t do that, then simply spread the word!
- Support legislation that promotes kindness to animals. Keep yourself up-to-date on the latest animal welfare legislation here in New Jersey. Contact your local and state representatives and ask them to support any legislation that strengthens anti-cruelty laws and makes the lives of our furry friends better in any way. Your voice is important and can make a big difference.