The Passaic County SPCA is always looking for new members to help us carry out our mission. PCSPCA has two distinct classifications of membership. One is membership in the “Society”, while the other is membership in the “Law Enforcement Division.”
Membership in the Society:
Membership in the Society involves participating in community outreach, making public appearances, assisting with educational programs and activities, and helping to run fundraising events. Members may also help with the day-to-day operations of the agency through social media, graphic design, and much more. Society members are also eligible for leadership roles within the organization. Applications for membership in the Society are accepted at any time.
Membership in the Law Enforcement Division:
Membership in the Law Enforcement Division involves all the functions of membership in the Society as well as working throughout the county to enforce New Jersey Title IV animal cruelty laws. It is very demanding and requires a big commitment. This membership includes extensive police academy training, a criminal background check, and interviews by the Board of Directors. Law Enforcement personnel, though unpaid, are considered public employees and held to the same high standards as any police officer in the state of New Jersey.
In order to be considered for membership in the Law Enforcement Division, you must meet the follow eligibility requirements:
- Must be a resident of New Jersey and a US citizen
- Must possess a valid NJ Driver License
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must already be a member of the Passaic County SPCA
- Must not have a criminal history and must be of good moral character
- Must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must have the physical ability to perform all tasks and duties of a Humane Law Enforcement Officer (HLEO) or Humane Law Enforcement Agent (HLEA)
- Must be able to attend a Basic Course for Humane Law Enforcement Officers at a designated police academy
Anyone interested in joining the Passaic County SPCA in any capacity must fill out a membership form, and turn it in for review along with a check or money order made payable to the ‘Passaic County SPCA’ for $25 at a public meeting. Our meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month at 8:00 p.m. at the Wayne Township Health Department, Room #2. We hope to see you there!